Monday, January 16, 2012

English Proverb

Yesterday afternoon I was looking through my twitter feed, when a post caught my eye.

Women's Health posted an English Proverb that read "Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork".

At first glance, I didn't quite get what they were going for, but after reading it a second time, I totally got it. Then I thought about how many people I know who are literally digging their own grave with their own knife and fork, and it made me a little uneasy.

I mean, we claim to live in the most modern of times. Medicine has never been more effective and saving lives and preventing the spread of diseases. People understand the importance of early detection of diseases such as cancer and hypertension, and yet they struggle with grasping the importance of preventing obesity. Yet obesity is a suspected contributing factor to many types of cancer as well as a long string of other potentially fatal health maladies. To put it succinctly, we have convinced people that it is important to get mammograms and colonoscopies to help detect possible tumors in their infancy, but we have somehow managed to forget that what and how much we eat is just as important.

It's kind of funny to look back at old proverbs and adages. I sometimes have to shake my head at how right those sayings are, only to see how badly we've gotten off the path and screwed things up. It's almost unfathomable to me, that in this modern age we really do have such a hard time seeing the forest for the trees.

It doesn't seem far fetched to me that what we consume plays a huge roll in our overall health, but, for whatever reason, some people just can't quit digging their grave with their own fork and knife.



No comments:

Post a Comment