Saturday, February 18, 2012

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Confession--I've got a thing for Kelly Clarkson, and I really don't have any idea where it came from.

I'm not a fan of American Idol, not even a little bit.  I didn't watch a single episode the year she won it.  Half of her hit songs I didn't even know were her's for weeks or months.  And yet, for whatever reason, I like her.

She's got a new song out called Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) and I love it.  At least the chorus.  The song is all about her breaking up with a guy, but the chorus is a great song to encourage perseverance during a tough workout or run.

Check out some other great songs for working out. What are some of your favorite workout songs? Leave a comment below.

When you are pushing your body to your perceived limit, it responds.  It gets stronger.  And the change may blow your mind.  There was a time not too long ago, when running faster than about 10 min/mile pace for more than a mile or so was a pipe dream.  But since I've started running much more seriously at the start of the year, I've already quickened my average pace to closer to 9 min/mile for runs of about 3 miles or less, and closer to 9:30 for 5-8 mile runs. 

Your body will adapt and change as well.  If you work hard, it will respond.  And it doesn't even have to be anything as strenuous as running.  Start a simple resistance program--heck, do as many good push-ups as you can.  Do them again tomorrow.  You'd be surprised how quickly you can get up to 25+ good push-ups.  Your body is an amazing machine, and the only thing holding it back from excelling is you.

Whatever is challenging you right now, vow to overcome it.  The first step may be tough, and it may hurt, but like my girl Kelly says, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stand a little taller.... What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, foot steps even lighter....What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, STRONGER!"

Now, go get stronger.

1 comment:

  1. Other songs that get me going when I'm running on empty:

    "Shake It Off"--Florence + the Machine
    "Loca"--Shakira
    "Celebrity Skin"--Hole
    "Welcome to the Jungle"--Guns N Roses

    ReplyDelete